February 3, 2012

Tortellini with Spinach and Chicken

Does anyone else reach a point where there is just NOTHING in the house to cook for dinner? And I don't mean that I just can't come up with an idea of what I want to cook, I mean there seriously is just no groceries left in the house.

For me, that point always hits a few days before payday. ;)

So, here I am. On a Wednesday/Thursday night. I've got tortellini, but no sauce. And no ingredients to make sauce.

Ok, ok. I'm BRIE! I'm SCRAPPY! I'll make something out of nothing if it kills me! Which it just might, seeing as I have GOT to go grocery shopping if I don't want to die of starvation and take the kids with me. (Don't worry, we're not starving. We made it to payday and tax return day! WHEW! PARTY TIME!!) The kids are perfectly fine surviving on peanut butter suckers, but until they make peanut butter healthy & it comes in a self replenishing jar .  .  . I have to be scrappy.

So I pulled out the tortellini and boiled it. (Is that the proper "chef-y" term? I have no idea.) While it was boiling (we're gonna go with it!), I sautéed chicken with chopped onion, garlic powder and olive oil. When the chicken was cooked through, I added zucchini slices and some salt and pepper. Once the zucchini was cooked until it was tender, I added the tortellini and shredded parmesan straight into the pan and stirred it all together until the cheese melted.

The results were . . . well, let's just say I should run out of groceries more often if this is what I can pull together. (Not to brag, or anything. hehehe!)

SO good. I've made it again since then. (This was last week.)

I don't know exactly how much of everything I put in there. When I cook I just kind of throw things in there and pray that it ends up at least edible. So we'll just say everything is "to taste."

Here's a picture:


The only thing that would make this better would be to have cooked the chicken on a grill before. Drool! Now I just need to get a grill . . .    ;)