February 6, 2012

Art Night!

On one of my "I can't sleep because I have too many ideas running through my head" nights, I came up with doing an art journal night with my kids. I'm so sick of the come home, do homework, cook and watch tv rut we're in. So I decided to throw in some activity nights. Monday night is going to be our art journal night! I went to Michaels and got us all an 11x14 sketch book. Lucky me, I found out when I got to the register that they were all buy one get one free! SERIOUSLY! I was one happy art journaler! I just got us all a set of Crayola watercolors thinking if we actually stick with this and someday get to be amazing artists, I'd get us a set of nice watercolors. But for now, the $4 Crayola sets work just grandly!






For our first foray into watercoloring/art journaling, I thought it would be fun to paint to music. I set it to Elvis' Greatest Hits. About halfway through my kids turned the iTunes to Adele. What? That works too. hahaha!


Here's what we came up with:

Top Left: Bridger's meteor crashing onto the grass on Earth. Bottom Left: Alayna's scenic art. Bottom Right: Hunter's portrait work. Top Right: My random flower.


Art Journaling Monday is fun! I think next week I'll give them a word or theme to paint and see what we come up with. Any good random kid friendly words or themes you can think of?