June 11, 2011

The Goal Project

As I was driving home from work last night, a sudden thought hit me. And it overwhelmed me.

I have a lot of goals. SOOO many things I want to do in my life. I need to write them down. I don't want to call it a bucket list. That sounds so morbid. lol! So I'm calling it my Goal Project.


I've really loved the idea of an art journal, but I'm horrible at journal keeping. Even an artsy one. So I kind of took a twist on the art journal, and am making a goal journal. Of course, I had to make it all cute and fun! And it's not finished yet, but I wanted to show you what I started. I wanted it to be made of fabric. I thought being able to use different fabrics would make such a fun background! I'm going to include pockets for pictures and journal cards and things like that. I'm so excited!!!

Here's what it looks like(ish):


Here's how I did it:


Take 2 rectangles of fabric and a slightly smaller rectangle of the heavy duty white stuff that's not interfacing, but you find it in the same spot in the fabric store. (If you haven't figured out this about me, I am SOOO not technical or precise when I craft. LOL) If anyone knows the name of that stuff, I'd love to hear it. haha!


I wanted a lot of fun texture on my cover, so I took a strip of netting and sewed down one side of it and gathered it. (It does not have to be cut straight. In fact, having a completely uneven cut only adds to the fun look of it at the end. You'll see what I mean.)

See how the uneven cut gives it different levels of dimension? LOVE IT! So pin your gathered netting about 3" from the bottom. And sew it on.


I sewed it so far over to make sure I got it all sewn. With it gathered so much, I didn't want to miss any spots.


I cut a strip of lace and fan folded it to "gather" it. Then I laid it over the netting and pinned it down.


I sewed it across the top, then along the bottom in two spots to make sure it was tacked down well. I intend to use this for a LONG time, and don't want the lace falling off.


Then I did a zig zag stitch around the whole thing, leaving about 3/4" of space on the edge.


I left that much space so I could go around with pinking shears.


I found some cute ribbon from my stash, and used Glossy Accents to glue it down.


I love ribbon!!! I'll post more pictures as I add to it and get it "finished." :)

I repeated that for my inside pages, minus all the trims and ribbon. I will sew things like pockets onto those pages, to hold photos and things like that. 

I'm going to use the Crop-A-Dile to "three hole punch" it, then I'm going to use binder rings to hold it together. I want to be able to add more pages to it as I go. I'm sure I'll find more goals to reach for in life! I want to have a page for each goal, and as I achieve them I can add things to my pages like photos or journal cards, memorabilia from whatever the goal was.

Here's my list of goals. So far.

• Travel the world!
• Get back in to theater/film. London or New York. I'm good with either option. ;)
• Volunteer on an archeological dig. (My dream from when I was 11 was to be an Egyptologist. lol)
• Swim with dolphins. (My other dream was to be a killer whale/dolphin trainer at Sea World. I love me! haha I'm so random!)
• Get back into a shape that is NOT round. (In progress - more on that in my next post!)
• Do a triathlon (I was SOOO close before! GAH!)
• Design a scrapbook line. (In progress!)
• Own my own craft company. (Also in progress! YAY!)
• Travel all over teaching crafting.
• Start a scholarship for single moms.
• Write a book.
• Write a screenplay. (In progress.)
• Write a song. (Also in progress. Working on a lullaby for my kids.)

I think that's a pretty good list for now. lol! What are some of your goals?