September 20, 2011

Puppy Bed

When my kids and I moved into our apartment after getting the job with My Mind's Eye, I realized that these apartments are PET FRIENDLY! I've been wanting to get a puppy for a long time and I just couldn't resist starting the search for our newest family member.


Could YOU say no to that little face? I sure didn't. ;) I named him Perseus. I LOVE Greek mythology, and the kids love the movie Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, so it fit. We call him Percy. He is such a sweetheart!

I've had an idea for a puppy bed project for a long time, and finally had a reason to make it! Here are the materials needed, all of which can be found at Roberts:


• Batting
• Fabric
• Patterned Paper
• Boards
• Thread
• e6000
• Mod Podge (not pictured)
• Spray Paint (not pictured)
• Wood candlesticks (4)
• Wood balls (2" or so in diameter) (4)
• Buttons (optional. I ended up not using them for THIS project. lol)

First, spray paint the boards and let them dry. Then, using e6000, glue the wooden balls to the candlesticks. Let that dry, then spray paint them as well.



I cut my patterned paper into 2" squares, then Mod Podged them onto the tall boards. I applied a layer of Mod Podge over the top to seal them. Once it dried, I took a pen and outlined the squares and drew squiggles here and there.



e6000 the candlestick/ball things to the bottom of your base board. These are the legs of the bed. Let dry. To attach the two "headboards" together, I used a staple gun to staple a thin board behind them to secure them together. Then I did the same to attach the base to the headboard.

To make the cushion, I cut two squares out of my fabric and sewed them together, wrong sides facing together, leaving a hole on one side. Turn it right side out and fill with batting, inserting the batting in the hole. When it's filled, sew up the hole.



Then put the cushion on the bed and you're set!











Percy loves his new little bed! He kept laying down on it, but he'd jump up and run every time I tried to take a picture. Figures, right? haha!