September 18, 2011

Crayon Art - Project In Progress

Here is one of those other projects I wanted to get to for the upcycled blog hop. I had SO much fun with this one, I really want to go out and get a bunch of canvases to try different color combinations!

I haven't finished this one off yet, but I wanted to show you what I've done with it so far.


Normally, I don't usually go so completely abstract with my projects. I had to let go of a lot of my perfectionism on this one. Not that I ever really follow any rules or instructions at all, this was still just so out of my element and comfort zone.

So far, this is just the start of a background for a mixed media piece. The blob of swirled color in the middle there is melted crayons, swirled together. I laid my patterned paper down with Mod Podge, added texture with mesh, puncinella (I'm 100% positive I spelled that wrong), cream and white paint. Then I took a green, blue, red, orange and yellow crayon and laid them in different places on the canvas. (The canvas is 6x12") Using a heat gun, I melted the crayons. I tilted the canvas in different directions to let the wax run. I also used the non brush end of a foam brush to swirl it around a little more, then just dabbed the wax off the brush onto the canvas. Once it cooled, I added some more paint texture. I want to work with it some more, it doesn't feel finished to me yet.

I'll add pictures, for sure, when I get it finished up. :)