March 6, 2011

Mixed Media FUN

I have been wanting to get into mixed media for a LoOoOong time, and when Christy Tomlinson invited me to take her She Art Workshop, I was THRILLED! I was always a bit intimidated to get into it because you truly can use ANYTHING to create a canvas. The thought of it was slightly overwhelming, to say the least. And I didn't really know anything about different inks, paints and mediums like modeling paste. This workshop has been fantastic for learning the basics of previously unknown mediums.

So far in week 1, Christy has shown us how to create a background full of rich layers and textures. We also created a girl, which is where the "She Art" comes in. Christy creates girls in a lot of her canvases.

I'm really happy with how my first canvas turned out! 

The words say "She Lives for The AdVenTurE"
My background is an old sheet of music, and a page from an old book, Mod Podged to a 6"x12" canvas. I used bubble wrap and ink to make the circle pattern in the corners. I have a brocade stamp that I stamped down here and there on the surface, edges and sides of the canvas. I found the fleur de lis stamp and it's my new fav! The chandelier stamp came from Roberts. I found it in the clearance section and I HAD to get it. It was a necessity! hahaha I put down a border sticker from Cosmo Cricket at the bottom, then mixed modeling paste with blue acrylic paint and smeared it on to the bottom right corner. I spread it around with a card, then wiped the excess paste around the canvas. Once it dried, I took a Colorbox ink pad and rubbed it across the canvas, getting all the creases of the paper and the peaks of the modeling paste. 






Christy provides templates for the girls. I am SO glad for this! Getting the proportions correct is something that will take me a while to get down. And I'm such a perfectionist it would drive me crazy trying to figure it out on my own. YAY for templates!!

Since this girl is supposed to be me, I wanted a saying that sums me up in a few words. Much harder said than done! There are so many amazing sayings, but I think what I chose pretty much sums me up. 

"She Lives for the Adventure"

Isn't that what life is all about? Learning, growing, exploring, making mistakes, trying again, learning more and taking in all you can? 



Seriously, you don't have to be an artist to take this class. It really is for anyone! There will be another offering of the class coming up, so don't feel bad about missing the first one. It's only $35 to register. You can't beat that! So click the link below and follow Christy's blog. Cause she pretty much will rock your world. She's so fun to watch in the videos, too. SO cute! Click the picture below and it will take you straight there. :)