December 27, 2010

Photo Holders

Ok, here is what I've been working on for some Christmas presents. :) I came across this idea from the amazing Lori Allred's blog, who found it on the Shanty2Chic blog. (Both amazing blogs! I love them!!) I did my own little spin on them, as I always do. Well, basically I had to improvise since I was doing my shopping LAST MINUTE and the stores didn't have the exact products to make them how Shanty2Chic did. But I love how they turned out! I'm currently carless, so my poor family had to drive me all over looking for the wood elements. Thanks for lunch, Dad! It's always entertaining watching my mom shooting straw wrappers at everyone and seeing her crack herself up. LOL!


 My original plan was to spray paint them all black. But it was just way too cold to go outside and spray paint. That and my dad, the master of all things, informed me that below 70ยบ and the paint would not stick. Even though I didn't quite believe him, I wasn't going to chance ruining them all. So I dug into my acrylic paint collection and found a few colors I thought would be fun to paint them. I didn't have enough black to do them ALL black.
 I think the blue and the black turned out to be my favorites. I'm so glad I was "forced" to use color!
 I couldn't find the finials at Lowe's anywhere, and since I'm not the type to ask for help, I figured out a way to make them myself. :) I was at a craft store that shall remain nameless (let's just say it's not the one I am employed by) and found the top part of the finial. It was way too small in proportion to the rest of the holder, so I found the round base part at Roberts. A little e6000 and you have yourself a finial!
The nameless store I went to did not have enough of one type of decorative wood element, so I got a few different kinds. I really like the end result of each of them, and the added touch they each brought to the finished look. I had fun making a mess with the sandpaper and paint, and I have now convinced myself I need to invest in a sander!

I did, however, get a fun new toy for Christmas, and I can't wait to start using it! I got a soldering iron for making jewelry with. I have SO many ideas I want to get started on, I can't even begin to say how excited I am!