May 19, 2012

Cheesy Chicken

This is going to be another edition of HOLY CRAP MY CUPBOARDS ARE EMPTY WHAT THE HECK AM I GOING TO MAKE?! It's another "in between paychecks" week, and my kitchen is definitely looking like it. I have a freezer full of chicken, thankfully, which is going to get us through the next few days. It just will require a bit of creativity and willingness to experiment. ;)

So while staring at my little pantry, willing groceries or an idea of what to do appear, I came across a random can of bread crumbs left over from some other meal. I KNEW I could do something with those! I also had about half a bag of the 2 cup bags of shredded cheese left. Done. Normally, it seems like breaded chicken recipes use eggs to dip the chicken in before coating in the bread crumbs. I didn't have eggs. But I DID have a can of evaporated milk. I figured, what the heck, let's go for it. So I poured the evaporated milk into one bowl. In another bowl I had the bread crumbs mixed up with the cheese. Dip, coat and into the frying pan the chicken went! (I have no idea what the evaporated milk did, other than to make the cheese and bread crumbs stick to the chicken.)

I had one can of green beans left over. Normally I like to heat the green beans up in boiling water, drain, then add some butter and salt to them. (Not healthy, I know. But I like what I like. lol!) But, alas, today I had no butter left. (It's going to be a long week. HAHA!) I did have some leftover chive and onion cream cheese and some more bread crumbs. So I experimented. I boiled the green beans and drained them. Then I mixed in the bread crumbs and a dollop of the cream cheese, then put them into a little pan and baked them in the oven at 350ยบ for a few minutes. I think with a little Parmesan sprinkled into that mix they would have been killer! As it was they were pretty decent for some random green bean experiment.

Over all, a pretty good meal. This chicken is for sure a keeper! It was so good! I was pretty impressed with myself, I must say, which is why I had to share. ;)